Place:


Llanbeblig  Caernarvonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llanbeblig like this:

LLANBEBLIG, a township and a parish, in the district and county of Carnarvon. The township lies on the river Seiont, the Menai Strait, and the Carnarvon and Nantlle railway, 1 mile SE of Carnarvon; and includes the places called Bont-Newydd, Castellmai, and Treflan. Pop. in 1851,1,209; in 1861,1,425. ...


Houses, 281. The increase of pop. arose from the opening of new slate quarries.—The parish contains also the borough of Carnarvon, and comprises 6,322 acres of land, and 470 of water. Real property, £27,418; of which £100 are in mines, £2,000 in railways, and £300 in gas-works. Pop. in 1851,9,883; in 1861,9,937. Houses, 2,101. The chief features are noticed in the article CARNARVoN. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelries of Carnarvon and Waenfawr, in the diocese of Bangor. Value, £330.* Patron, the Bishop of Chester. The church is ancient and cruciform; was restored in 1842; is a plain structure, with Irish-stepped battlements; contains a beautiful figured alabaster monument to W. Griffith, brought hither from Llanvaes; is dedicated to St. Peblig or Publicus, a son of Maximus and Helena; and was given, by Richard II., to the nunnery of St. Mary at Chester.

Llanbeblig through time

Llanbeblig is now part of Gwynedd district. Click here for graphs and data of how Gwynedd has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llanbeblig itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanbeblig, in Gwynedd and Caernarvonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4423

Date accessed: 23rd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llanbeblig ".