Place:


Llanwnda  Caernarvonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llanwnda like this:

LLANWNDA, a parish in the district and county of Carnarvon; on the Roman road from Carnarvon, and on the Carnarvon and Barmouth railway, 3 miles S of Carnarvon. It contains the village of Bont-Newydd, which has a post office under Carnarvon. Acres, 11,459; of which 2,694 are water. Real property, £4,989. ...


Pop., 1,660. Houses, 359. The property is divided among a few. Slate is quarried. Ancient British camps are at Hen-Gastell and Dinas-Gorvai. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Llanfaglan, in the diocese of Bangor. Value, £270. Patron, the Bishop of Bangor. The church is dedicated to St. Gwyndav; and is early English, cruciform, and good. There are two CalVinistic Methodist chapels, and charities £6.

Llanwnda through time

Llanwnda is now part of Gwynedd district. Click here for graphs and data of how Gwynedd has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llanwnda itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanwnda, in Gwynedd and Caernarvonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6652

Date accessed: 25th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llanwnda ".