Place:


Llandwrog  Caernarvonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llandwrog like this:

LLANDWROG, a parish and a sub-district in the district and county of Carnarvon. The parish lies on Carnarvon bay, on the Sarn Helen way, and on the Carnarvonshire railway, 5 miles S by W of Carnarvon; has a village of its own name, with a post office under Carnarvon; is cut into two divisions, lower and upper; and contains the villages of Bethesda and Tylon. ...


Acres, 9,516; of which 200 are water. Real property of the lower div., £3,444; of the upper div., £7,158 -of which £3,280 are in quarries, and £450 in mines. Pop. of the whole, 2,825. Houses, 614. Part of the property is subdivided; but most belonged formerly to the Glynnes, and belongs now to Lord Newborough. Glynllifon is Lord Newborough's seat, and stands amid a splendidly wooded park. Slate quarries are at Peny-Bryn, Talysarn and Cilgwyn; and a copper mine is at Drws-y-Coed, under Snowdon. Dinas-Dinlle, on a hill of sand and pebbles, overlooking the sea, is an ancient fortification of about 20 acres; appears to have been originally British; was occupied by the Romans, and is said to have been connected with Segontium; shows a strong double range of escarpments, and contains traces of watch-towers; but has, in its seaward front, suffered considerable abrasion by the billows. Edward I. once made a sojourn within the parish. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bangor. Value, £491. * Patron, the Bishop of Llandaff. The church is dedicated to St. Twrog; was rebuilt in 1864, at a cost of £7,000, all defrayed by Lord Newborough; is in the decorated English style, cruciform, of Anglesey limestone, lined with Bath stone; and has a tower and spire 110 feet high. A considerable section of the parish, designated L. St. Thomas, was constituted a separate charge in 1856; and, at the census of 1861, had a pop. of 2,114. The living of it is a p. curacy, with a parsonage, but the value not reported, in the patronage of the Rector. The church is recent. Mrs. Glynne's alms houses, for twelve decayed maiden gentlewomen, were founded in 1727, and have an endowed income of £203; and there are other charities £18.—The sub-district contains also three other parishes. Acres, 40,556. Pop., 8,518. Houses, 1,866.

Llandwrog through time

Llandwrog is now part of Gwynedd district. Click here for graphs and data of how Gwynedd has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llandwrog itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llandwrog, in Gwynedd and Caernarvonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2040

Date accessed: 21st November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llandwrog ".