Place:


Llanengan  Caernarvonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llanengan like this:

LLANENGAN, a parish in Pwllheli district, Carnarvon; at the SE extremity of the Lleyn peninsula, between St. Tudwalls bay and Hell's Mouth bay, 7 miles SW of Pwllheli, and 24 SW of Nantlle r. station. It contains the villages of L1anengan and Abersoch, each of which has a post office, under Pwllheli. ...


Acres, 4,354; of which 633 are water. Pop., 1,021. Houses, 236. Trwyn-Cilan headland, between the two bays, shows interesting scenery; and other parts also are picturesque. The coast is swept by currents, much dreaded by mariners; and the part of it on the E side of Hell's Mouth bay was the scene of the shipwreck of the ''Transit ''in 1839. Lead mines are at Penrhyn-mawr. Three ancient camps, and some other antiquities, are within the parish. Two small islands, called St. Tudwalls, lie off the E coast; and one of them has ruins of an ancient chapel. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bangor. Value, £450.* Patron, the Bishop of Llandaff. The church is dedicated to St. Einion; occupies the site of one built in the 6th century; is a fine structure of the early part of the 16th century; was recently restored; contains a very richly carved screen; and has bells said to have been brought from Bardsey. Charities, £6.

Llanengan through time

Llanengan is now part of Gwynedd district. Click here for graphs and data of how Gwynedd has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llanengan itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanengan, in Gwynedd and Caernarvonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4963

Date accessed: 22nd November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llanengan ".