Place:


Llanrug  Caernarvonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llanrug like this:

LLANRUG, or LLANFIHANGEL-IN-RUG, a parish, and a sub-district, in the district and county of Carnarvon. The parish lies on the river Seiont, and on the Llanberis railway, 3½ miles E of Carnarvon r. station; and has a post office, of the name of Llanrug, under Carnarvon. The parish contains also the village of Cwm-y-Glo. ...


Acres, 4,516. Real property, £4,330; of which £360 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851,1,894; in 1861,2,139. Houses, 468. Glangwnna, PlâsTirion and Pantavon are chief residences. Slate quarries, akin to those of Llanberis, are at Cefn-Dû and Glyn-Rhonwy; and traces of copper ore are found. There are an ancient camp and many vestiges of ancient British habitations. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bangor. Value, £166. Patron, the Bishop of Llandaff. The church stands on a hill, and is old and cruciform. An inscribed stone is on the grounds of the parsonage. Edwards, the surgeon to Anson in his voyages, was a native.—The sub-district contains also four other parishes. Acres, 29,204. Pop., 10,404. Houses, 2,201.

Llanrug through time

Llanrug is now part of Gwynedd district. Click here for graphs and data of how Gwynedd has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llanrug itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanrug, in Gwynedd and Caernarvonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6600

Date accessed: 21st November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llanrug ".