Place:


Holbrook  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Holbrook like this:

HOLBROOK, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Samford district, Suffolk. The village stands 1½ mile N of Holbrook bay, 3¼ ESE of Bentley Junction r. station, and 5½ S by E of Ipswich; and has a post office‡ under Ipswich. The parish comprises 2, 203 acres of land and 950 of water. ...


Real property, £4, 256. Pop., 903. Houses, 194. The property is subdivided. The manor belonged formerly to the Clenches, and belongs now to John Berners, Esq. Holbrook bay is an expansion of the estuary of the Stour, opposite Wrabness in Essex. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £490.* Patron, the Rev. J. B. Wilkinson. The church is ancient; was recently restored and enlarged; comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with vestry and tower; and contains a brass of 1470, and monuments of the Clenches. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.—The sub-district contains thirteen parishes. Acres, 27, 665. Pop., 6, 144. Houses, 1, 263.

Holbrook through time

Holbrook is now part of Babergh district. Click here for graphs and data of how Babergh has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Holbrook itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Holbrook, in Babergh and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7292

Date accessed: 23rd October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Holbrook ".