Place:


Freston  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Freston like this:

FRESTON, a parish in Samford district, Suffolk; on the river Orwell, near the Eastern Counties railway, 3½ miles S of Ipswich. It has a post office under Ipswich. Acres, 1, 513; of which 100 are water. Real property, £2, 069. Pop., 256. Houses, 51. The property is divided among a few. A strong square tower of the Latymers is here, 12 feet long, 10 feet wide, and 6 stories high. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £369.* Patron, the Rev. J. T. Bond. The church is good.

Freston through time

Freston is now part of Babergh district. Click here for graphs and data of how Babergh has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Freston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Freston, in Babergh and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7212

Date accessed: 23rd October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Freston ".