Place:


Stutton  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stutton like this:

STUTTON, a parish, with a village, in Samford district, Suffolk; on the river Stour, 4 miles E by N of Manningtree r. station. It has a post-office under Ipswich. Acres, 2,725; of which 605 are water. Real property, £4,184. Pop., 531. Houses, 122. S. Hall was built by Sir E. Jermy, and is now a farmhouse. Crow Halland Alton Hall are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £600.* Patron, the Rev. T. Mills. The church is good; and there are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £7.

Stutton through time

Stutton is now part of Babergh district. Click here for graphs and data of how Babergh has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stutton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stutton, in Babergh and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7738

Date accessed: 21st September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stutton ".