Descriptive gazetteer entries

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Duddeston like this:

DUDDESTON-CUM-NECHELLS, a hamlet, a sub-district, and two chapelries in Aston parish and district, Warwick. The hamlet and sub-district are co-extensive; form the northeastern portion of the borough of Birmingham; contain streets and outskirts of the borough; and lie on the line of the Northwestern railway. Acres, 936. Pop. in 1841, 20, 079; in 1861, 38, 760. Houses, 7, 835. The chapelries are Duddeston and Nechells, or St. Matthew and St. Clement; and the former was constituted in 1842, the latter in 1860. Pop., ...


18, 693 and 6, 675. Houses, 3, 792 and 1, 382. The livings are vicarages in the diocese of Worcester. Value of St. Matthew, £300; * of St. Clement, £300.* Patrons of St. Matthew, Trustees; of St. Clement, the Incumbent of St. Matthew. The church of St. Matthew was the seat of the Ash family; and that of St. Clement is a structure of 1859, in the geometric decorated style, comprising nave, chancel, south aisles, tower, and vestry, and raised at a cost of about £4, 000.

This is the only descriptive gazetter entry we have found, but you may be able to find further references to Duddeston by doing a full-text search here.


Travel writing

Sorry, but no mentions of this place can be found.

This website includes two large libraries, of historical travel writing and of entries from nineteenth century gazetteers describing places. We have text from these sources available for these places near your location:

Place Mentioned in Travel Writing Mentioned in Hist. Gazetteer
Bloomsbury 0 2
Ashted 0 2
Deritend 1 2
Nechells 0 1
Aston Brook 0 2
Saltley 0 2
Washwood Heath 0 2
Bordesley 0 2
Aston 0 3
Birmingham 88 4
Ward End 0 2
Small Heath 0 3
Gravelly Hill 0 2
Lozells 0 2
Hockley 0 2
Stechford 0 2
Witton 0 2
Birchfield 0 2
Hay Mill 0 1
Erdington 0 2