Place:


Duddeston  Warwickshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Duddeston like this:

DUDDESTON-CUM-NECHELLS, a hamlet, a sub-district, and two chapelries in Aston parish and district, Warwick. The hamlet and sub-district are co-extensive; form the northeastern portion of the borough of Birmingham; contain streets and outskirts of the borough; and lie on the line of the Northwestern railway. ...


Acres, 936. Pop. in 1841, 20, 079; in 1861, 38, 760. Houses, 7, 835. The chapelries are Duddeston and Nechells, or St. Matthew and St. Clement; and the former was constituted in 1842, the latter in 1860. Pop., 18, 693 and 6, 675. Houses, 3, 792 and 1, 382. The livings are vicarages in the diocese of Worcester. Value of St. Matthew, £300; * of St. Clement, £300.* Patrons of St. Matthew, Trustees; of St. Clement, the Incumbent of St. Matthew. The church of St. Matthew was the seat of the Ash family; and that of St. Clement is a structure of 1859, in the geometric decorated style, comprising nave, chancel, south aisles, tower, and vestry, and raised at a cost of about £4, 000.

Duddeston through time

Duddeston is now part of Birmingham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Birmingham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Duddeston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Duddeston, in Birmingham and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20903

Date accessed: 20th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Duddeston ".