Place:


Bourton on the Water  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bourton on the Water like this:

BOURTON-ON-THE-WATER, a village and a parish in Stow-on-the-Wold district, Gloucester. The village stands on the river Windrush, and on the Fossé way, at the terminus of the Bourton-on-the-Water railway, 4 miles SSW of Stow-on-the-Wold: and has a post office‡ under Moreton-in-the-Marsh. ...


The parish comprises 2,282 acres. Real property, £6,188. Pop., 1,011. Houses, 234. The property is much subdivided. Many Roman antiquities, one of them a curious gold signet, have been found in the vicinity of the village; and there was formerly a paved aqueduct. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacies of Clapton and Lower Slaughter, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £475.* Patron, Wadham College, Oxford. The church is Grecian, and has a lofty tower, surmounted by a cupola. There are a Baptist chapel and two public schools.

Bourton on the Water through time

Bourton on the Water is now part of Cotswold district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cotswold has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bourton on the Water itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bourton on the Water, in Cotswold and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10405

Date accessed: 28th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bourton on the Water ".