Place:


Clapton  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Clapton like this:

CLAPTON-ON-THE-HILL, a parish in Stow-on-the Wold district, Gloucester; under the Cotswolds, 4¼ miles NE of Northleach, and 7¾ SW of Addlestrop r. station. Post town, Northleach, under Cheltenham. Acres, 783. Real property, £1, 249. Pop., 123. Houses, 27. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of Bourton-on-the-Water, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is old and small.

Clapton through time

Clapton is now part of Cotswold district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cotswold has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Clapton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clapton, in Cotswold and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10538

Date accessed: 18th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Clapton ".