Place:


Bassingbourn  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bassingbourn like this:

BASSINGBOURNE, a village and a parish in the district of Royston and county of Cambridge. The village stands 3 miles NNW of Royston r. station, has a post office under Royston, and was formerly a market town. The parish includes also the hamlet of Kneesworth. Acres, 4,223. Real property, £10,396. Pop., 2,213. Houses, 415. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £224.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. The church is of the 14th century. There are an Independent chapel, a British school, and charities £2l.

Bassingbourn through time

Bassingbourn is now part of South Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bassingbourn itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bassingbourn in South Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1551

Date accessed: 18th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bassingbourn ".