Place:


Steeple Morden  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Steeple Morden like this:

STEEPLE-MORDEN, a parish in the district of Royston and county of Cambridge; 2¾ miles N of Ashwell r. station, and 4¾ WNW of Royston. It has a post-office under Royston. Acres, 3,767. Real property, £5,445. Pop., 913. Houses, 185. The manor belonged formerly to the Fitzwalters, and belongs now to the Earl of Hardwicke. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £200.* Patron, New College, Cambridge. The church's steeple fell about 1760, and has never been rebuilt. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Steeple Morden through time

Steeple Morden is now part of South Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Steeple Morden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Steeple Morden in South Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5089

Date accessed: 24th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Steeple Morden ".