Place:


Stoke  Warwickshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stoke like this:

STOKE, a parish, with a village, in Foleshill district, Warwick; 2 miles ENE of Coventry r. station. It has a post-office, of the name of Stoke-Green, under Coventry. Acres, 920. Real property, £9,643. Pop. in 1851, 1,031; in 1861, 1,555. Houses, 325. The manor belongs to the corporation of Coventry. ...


There are many fine villas. Ribbon-weaving is carried on. The living is a vicarage, united with Walsgrave, in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £333.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient, and has been repaired and enlarged. There are an Independent chapel and a national school.

Stoke through time

Stoke is now part of Coventry district. Click here for graphs and data of how Coventry has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stoke itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stoke, in Coventry and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9363

Date accessed: 21st April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Stoke".