Place:


Blakesley  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Blakesley like this:

BLAKESLEY, a village and a parish in Towcester district, Northampton. The village stands 4½ miles W by N of Towcester r. station, and 6 S of Weedon; and has a post office under Towcester. Pop., 523. Houses, 128.—The parish includes also the hamlet of Woodend, and part of the hamlet of Foxley. ...


Acres, 2,840. Real property, £7,318. Pop., 777. Houses, 195. The property is much subdivided. Blakesley Hall belonged anciently to the Knights of St. John; and is now the seat of J. W. Wight, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £176.* Patron, J. W. Wight, Esq. The church contains a brass of 1416, and is good. There are two Baptist chapels, a free school for boys, and charities £242.

Blakesley through time

Blakesley is now part of South Northamptonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Northamptonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Blakesley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Blakesley in South Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7578

Date accessed: 18th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Blakesley".