Honington  Suffolk


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Honington like this:

HONINGTON, a village and a parish in the district of Thetford and county of Suffolk. The village stands on an affluent of the river Waveney, 7 miles SSE of Thetford r. station; and has a post office, under Buryst. Edmunds.—The parish comprises 1, 203 acres. Real property, £2, 019. Pop., 363. ...

Houses, 73. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Duke of Grafton. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £332. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is a stone building, with tiled roof and stone tower; and has a brass of 1594. Charities, £64. Robert Bloomfield, the poet, was a native.

Honington through time

Honington is now part of St Edmundsbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how St Edmundsbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Honington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Honington, in St Edmundsbury and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 14th April 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Honington".