Lambeth  Surrey


In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Lambeth like this:

Lambeth, parl. bor. and par., Surrey, on r. Thames, in SW. of London, 3942 ac., pop. 253,699. Lambeth Palace (1197) has for centuries been the official residence of the Archbishops of Canterbury; the library contains records of the see dating from the 13th century. St Thomas' Hospital is situated on the Thames, opposite the Houses of Parliament. ...

Lambeth Bridge is 1040 ft. long, with 3 spans of 280 ft. each. The bor. returns 4 members to Parliament (4 divisions--viz., North, Kennington, Brixton, and Norwood, 1 member for each division); the old parl. bor. of Lambeth (which included parts of Camberwell and Lambeth pars. and the whole of Newington par.) returned 2 members until 1885.

Lambeth through time

Click here for graphs and data of how Lambeth has changed over two centuries. For statistics for historical units named after Lambeth go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lambeth in Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 18th June 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Lambeth".