Place:


Knebworth  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Knebworth like this:

KNEBWORTH, a village and a parish in Hitchin district, Herts. The village stands 3 miles S of Stevenage r. station, and 8½ NW of Hertford; and has a post office under Stevenage.—The parish contains also part of the hamlet of Broadwater. Acres, 2, 696. Real property, £2, 927. Pop., 250. ...


Houses, 51. The manor belonged to the Hoos and the Hotofts, from whom it passed to the Lyttons; and belongs now to Lord Lytton. Knebworth Place is his Lordship's seat, and stands on a commanding eminence, amid a finely wooded park. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £500.* Patron, Lord Lytton. The church is ancient; consists of nave, chancel, and porch, with tower and low spire; and contains some handsome monuments of the Lyttons. There are a national school and an alms house.

Knebworth through time

Knebworth is now part of North Hertfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Hertfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Knebworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Knebworth in North Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3167

Date accessed: 27th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Knebworth ".