Place:


Shephall  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shephall like this:

SHEPHALL, or Sheephall, a parish, with a village, in Hitchin district, Herts; near the Great Northern railway, 2½ miles SSE of Stevenage. Post town, Stevenage. Acres, 1,142. Real property, £1,671. Pop., 243. Houses, 47. S. Bury is the seat of U. Heathcote, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £306.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient. There are a national school, and charities £26.

Shephall through time

Shephall is now part of Stevenage district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stevenage has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shephall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shephall, in Stevenage and Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2824

Date accessed: 17th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shephall ".