Place:


Arden  Warwickshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Arden like this:

ARDEN, a part of Temple-Grafton parish, midway between Stratford-on-Avon and Alcester, in Warwick; or, more extensively, a tract about 17 miles long and 12 miles broad, extending northward from the Avon to the vicinity of Birmingham. This was anciently a forest; and originally but part of a still greater forest, between the Severn and the Trent, held by the British Cornavii. It was probably the type of Shakespeare's "Forest of Arden;" and it gave the title of Baron to Earl Egmont. The name signifies "the high wood;" and much of the tract designated by it is now called the Woodland.

Arden through time

Arden is now part of Stratford on Avon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stratford on Avon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Arden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Arden, in Stratford on Avon and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24807

Date accessed: 04th July 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Arden ".