Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for TILLINGTON

TILLINGTON, a parish, with a village, in Midhurst district, Sussex; 3 miles NNW of Petworth r. station. It has a post-office, of the name of Tillington-Street, under Petworth. Acres, 3,766. Real property, £5,147. Pop., 908. Houses, 189. The manor belongs to Lord Leconfield. Pittshill is the seat of W. T. Mitford, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £740.* Patron, Lord Leconfield. The church is partly decorated English. There are a national school, alms houses with £20 a year, and other charities £5.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish, with a village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Tillington CP/AP       Midhurst PLU/RegD       Sussex AncC
Place names: TILLINGTON     |     TILLINGTON STREET
Place: Tillington

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.