Place:


Tillington  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tillington like this:

TILLINGTON, a parish, with a village, in Midhurst district, Sussex; 3 miles NNW of Petworth r. station. It has a post-office, of the name of Tillington-Street, under Petworth. Acres, 3,766. Real property, £5,147. Pop., 908. Houses, 189. The manor belongs to Lord Leconfield. Pittshill is the seat of W. T. Mitford, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £740.* Patron, Lord Leconfield. The church is partly decorated English. There are a national school, alms houses with £20 a year, and other charities £5.

Tillington through time

Tillington is now part of Chichester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chichester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tillington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tillington, in Chichester and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9039

Date accessed: 28th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tillington ".