Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for WALTON (West)

WALTON (West), a parish in the district of Wisbeach and county of Norfolk; 3 miles NNE of Wisbeach r. station. It has a post-office under Wisbeach. Acres, 5,219. Real property, £11,920. Pop., 950. Houses, 201. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory of two parts, W.-Eliensis and W.-Lewis, in the diocese of Norwich. Value of W.-E., £572;* of W.-L., £802. Patron of W.-E., the Lord Chancellor; of W.-L., the Rev.H. Townshend. The church is early English, and has a detached tower. A school-room is used as a chapel of ease. There are chapels for Baptists and Primitive Methodists, an endowed school with £23 a year, and charities £67.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: West Walton AP/CP       Norfolk AncC
Place names: WALTON     |     WALTON WEST     |     WEST WALTON
Place: West Walton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.