Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for ASHBY (Canons)

ASHBY (Canons), a parish in Daventry and Towcester districts, Northampton; on the river Cherwell, 8 miles SW of Weedon r. station, and 9 S of Daventry. It includes the hamlet of Adstone; and its Post Town is Eydon under Daventry. Acres, 2,600. Real property, £3,109. Pop., 220. Houses, 46. A friary of black canons was founded here, in the time of Henry II., by Stephen de Leye; and given, at the dissolution, to Sir Francis Bryan. Canons-Ashby House is the seat of Sir H. E. L. Dryden, Bart.; and contains a very large apartment floored with oak from one tree. The living is a donative in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, not reported. Patron, Sir H. E. L. Dryden. The church is good; and has tombs of the Drydens. The p. curacy of Adstone is a separate charge.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Canons Ashby AP/CP       Northamptonshire AncC
Place names: ASHBY     |     ASHBY CANONS     |     CANONS ASHBY
Place: Canons Ashby

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.