Place:


Canons Ashby  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Canons Ashby like this:

ASHBY (Canons), a parish in Daventry and Towcester districts, Northampton; on the river Cherwell, 8 miles SW of Weedon r. station, and 9 S of Daventry. It includes the hamlet of Adstone; and its Post Town is Eydon under Daventry. Acres, 2,600. Real property, £3,109. Pop., 220. Houses, 46. ...


A friary of black canons was founded here, in the time of Henry II., by Stephen de Leye; and given, at the dissolution, to Sir Francis Bryan. Canons-Ashby House is the seat of Sir H. E. L. Dryden, Bart.; and contains a very large apartment floored with oak from one tree. The living is a donative in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, not reported. Patron, Sir H. E. L. Dryden. The church is good; and has tombs of the Drydens. The p. curacy of Adstone is a separate charge.

Canons Ashby through time

Canons Ashby is now part of Daventry district. Click here for graphs and data of how Daventry has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Canons Ashby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Canons Ashby, in Daventry and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7524

Date accessed: 18th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Canons Ashby".