Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for KNEBWORTH

KNEBWORTH, a village and a parish in Hitchin district, Herts. The village stands 3 miles S of Stevenage r. station, and 8½ NW of Hertford; and has a post office under Stevenage.—The parish contains also part of the hamlet of Broadwater. Acres, 2, 696. Real property, £2, 927. Pop., 250. Houses, 51. The manor belonged to the Hoos and the Hotofts, from whom it passed to the Lyttons; and belongs now to Lord Lytton. Knebworth Place is his Lordship's seat, and stands on a commanding eminence, amid a finely wooded park. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £500.* Patron, Lord Lytton. The church is ancient; consists of nave, chancel, and porch, with tower and low spire; and contains some handsome monuments of the Lyttons. There are a national school and an alms house.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Knebworth CP/AP       Hitchin PLU/RegD       Hertfordshire AncC
Place: Knebworth

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.