Place:


Selattyn  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Selattyn like this:

SELATTYN, a village and a parish in Oswestry district, Salop. The village stands near Offa's dyke, 2½ miles W N W of Gobowen r. station, and 3½ N N W of Oswestry; and has a post-office under Oswestry. The parish contains the townships of Lower and Upper Porkington, and comprises 5, 538 acres. ...


Real property, £8, 916; of which £14 are in mines. Pop., 1, 118. Houses, 243. The property is divided among three. Porkington Hall is a chief residence. Castle Brogyntyn was an ancient fortalice, and has left some traces. Offa's dyke exhibits distinct vestiges on the high grounds in the W. Buildingstone is quarried; and limestone is calcined. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. Asaph. Value, £813.* Patron, Capt. Lloyd. The church was recentlyenlarged. The vicarage of Hengoed is a separate benefice. There are schools with £25 a year from endowment, and charities £65. Dr. Sacheverell and James Wylding, the latter a member of the Westminster Assembly, were rectors.

Selattyn through time

Selattyn is now part of Oswestry district. Click here for graphs and data of how Oswestry has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Selattyn itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Selattyn, in Oswestry and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8811

Date accessed: 26th May 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Selattyn ".