Place:


Llanymynech  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llanymynech like this:

LLANYMYNECH, a village in Oswestry district, Salop, and a parish partly also in Llanfyllin district, Montgomery. The village stands on the river Vyrnwy, at the boundary with Montgomery, adjacent to the Montgomery canal and to the Cambrian railway, at the junction of the branch to Llanfyllin, near Offa's dyke, 4 ½ miles WSW of the boundary with Denbigh, and 5½ S by W of Oswestry; is a pretty place, seated on an eminence; and has a station at the railway junction, a post office‡ under Oswestry, a handsome stone bridge over the Vyrnwy, and fairs on 1 April, 29 May, and 23 Sept. ...


The parish contains the townships of Llwyntidman and Treprenal in Salop, and the township of Carreghofa in Montgomery. Acres of the Salop portion, 1,281. Real property, £6,545; of which £132 are in mines. Pop., 551. Houses, 109. Acres of the Montgomery portion, 1,223. Real property, £3,444; of which £30 are in mines, and £1,432 in quarries. Pop., 400. Houses, 92. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Earl of Powis and F. West, Esq. Llanymynech Hill has an altitude of about 900 feet; commands beautiful views, particularly toward the Berwyn mountains; is traversed, along the W brow, by Offa's dyke; has been largely scarped and pierced with quarries, whence enormous quantities of mountain limestone was sent to Staffordshire to be used there in the smelting of iron ore; and seems to have been mined for copper ore, by the Romans. A large cave in it, called the Ogo cavern, was found, in 1761, to contain several human skeletons, accompanied with tools and coins of Antoninus. Other hills also are in the parish; and some of them have ancient British earth-works. Lead and zinc ores, as well as copper, have been worked. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. Asaph. Value, £394. * Patron, the Bishop of St. Asaph. The church was rebuilt in 1845; is in the Norman style; and has stainedglass E and W windows. There is a national school.

Llanymynech through time

Llanymynech is now part of Oswestry district. Click here for graphs and data of how Oswestry has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llanymynech itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanymynech, in Oswestry and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6672

Date accessed: 14th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llanymynech ".