Place:


South Elmham St Cross  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Elmham St Cross like this:

ELMHAM (South)-St. Cross, or Sandcroft, a parish in Wangford district, Suffolk; adjacent to the river Waveney, and to the Waveney Valley railway, near Homersfield r. station, 5 miles SW of Bungay. Post town, South Elmham-St. Margaret, under Harlestone. Acres, 1, 110. Real property, £1, 973. Pop., 238. Houses, 46. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Homersfield, in the diocese of Norwich. The church is tolerable. Some remains exist of a moated minster, with nave 42 feet by 27, and apsidal chancel 24 feet.

South Elmham St Cross through time

South Elmham St Cross is now part of Waveney district. Click here for graphs and data of how Waveney has changed over two centuries. For statistics about South Elmham St Cross itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Elmham St Cross, in Waveney and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7144

Date accessed: 17th February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " South Elmham St Cross ".