Place:


South Elmham St Margaret  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Elmham St Margaret like this:

ELMHAM (South)-St. Margaret, a parish in Wangford district, Suffolk; 2¾ miles SE of Homersfield r. station, and 4½ SSW of Bungay. It has a post office under Harlestone. Acres, 710. Real property, £1, 078. Pop., 152. Houses, 31. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of South Elmham-St. Peter, in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £250. Patron, W. Adair, Esq. The church is chiefly early English, but has a Norman door and a later English tower; and is good.

South Elmham St Margaret through time

South Elmham St Margaret is now part of Waveney district. Click here for graphs and data of how Waveney has changed over two centuries. For statistics about South Elmham St Margaret itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Elmham St Margaret, in Waveney and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7147

Date accessed: 18th February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " South Elmham St Margaret ".