In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Clyst Hydon like this:
CLIST-HYDON, a parish in St. Thomas district. Devon; near the source of the river Clist, 2 ½' miles E of Hele r. station, and 4 SE by S of Collumpton. Post town, Collumpton. Acres, 1, 725. Real property, £2, 927, Pop., 329. Houses, 71. The manor belonged formerly to the family of Hidon; and belongs now to the family of Huyshe. Ratcliffe House is the seat of J. Matthew, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £440. Patron, Mrs. Huyshe. The church is a fine old edifice of nave, aisles, and chancel, with porch and tower. A school has £17 from endowment; and other charities £17.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Clyst Hydon has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Devon. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Clyst Hydon and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clyst Hydon in East Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 30th April 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Clyst Hydon".