In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Clyst St Lawrence like this:
CLIST-ST. LAWRENCE, a parish in St. Thomas district, Devon; on the river Clist, 2½ miles ESE of Hele r. station, and 4 SSE of Collumpton. Post town, Collumpton. Acres, 1, 060. Real property, £1, 664. Pop., 154. Houses, 32. The manor belonged formerly to the Pollard and the Hele families; and belongs now to Hele's charity-school or St. John's hospital, in Exeter. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £299.* Patrons, the Trustees of St. John's Hospital, Exeter. The church is later English; consists of nave and chancel, with lofty western tower; has an ancient screen and roodloft; and was reported in 1859 to need repair. Charities, £5.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Clyst St Lawrence has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Devon. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Clyst St Lawrence and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clyst St Lawrence in East Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 29th March 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Clyst St Lawrence".