Place:


Crook  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Crook like this:

CROOK, a township and a chapelry in Brancepeth parish, Durham. The township bears the name of Crook and Billy-row; lies on an affluent of the river Wear, and on the Weardale Extension railway, 5½ miles NNW of Bishop-Auckland; and has a station on the railway and a post office‡ under Darlington, both of the name of Crook. ...


Acres, 4, 008. Real property, £25, 981; of which £15, 603 are in mines, and £500 in gas-works. Pop., 5, 134. Houses, 954. The chapelry is more extensive than the township; and was constituted in 1845. Pop., 8, 603. Houses, 1, 609. The property is divided among a few. Crook Hall belonged to the Hiltons and the Bakers; was the birthplace of Baker, the historian of St. John's college, Cambridge; and passed to the Williamsons. Coal is largely worked. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham. Value, £300. Patron, the Rector of Brancepeth. The church is tolerable; and there are chapels for Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, New Connexion Methodists, and Roman Catholics. The New Connexion Methodist chapel was built in 1860; and a mechanics' institute was built in 1869. .

Crook through time

Crook is now part of Wear Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wear Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Crook itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Crook, in Wear Valley and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/359

Date accessed: 18th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Crook ".