Place:


Hunwick  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hunwick like this:

HUNWICK, a village, a township, and a chapelry in Auckland-St. Andrew parish, Durham. The village stands near the river Wear, and the Sunderland and Bishop-Auckland railway, 2½ miles NW by N of BishopAuckland; and has a station on the railway. The township includes also Helmington, and bears the name of Hunwick and Helmington. ...


Acres, 1,560. Real property, £8,132; of which £5,967 are in mines, and £134 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 486; in 1861, 1,203. Houses, 227. The increase of pop. was caused chiefly by the opening of new collieries.—The chapelry is larger than the township, and was constituted in 1845. Post town, Bishop289. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £300. * Patron, the Incumbent of Auckland-St. Andrew.

Hunwick through time

Hunwick is now part of Wear Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wear Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hunwick itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hunwick, in Wear Valley and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5507

Date accessed: 20th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hunwick ".