Place:


Luton  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Luton like this:

LUTON, a hamlet-chapelry in Bishops-Teignton parish, Devon; 3 miles NW of Bishops-Teignton village, and 4½ N of Newton-Abbot r. station. Post town, Bishops-Teignton, under Teignmouth. The acreage and pop. are returned with the parish. The manor belongs to Lord Clifford. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; and till 1866 was united with BishopsTeignton. Value, £65. The church is in the pointed style, and consists of nave and chancel.

Additional information about this locality is available for Bishopsteignton

Luton through time

Luton is now part of Teignbridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Teignbridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Luton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Luton, in Teignbridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/23838

Date accessed: 21st October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Luton ".