Place:


Bishopsteignton  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bishopsteignton like this:

BISHOPS-TEIGNTON, a village and a parish in Newton-Abbot district, Devon. The village stands on the river Teign, near the South Devon railway, 2 miles W by S of Teignmouth; and has a post office under Teignmouth. The parish includes also the hamlets of Coombe and Luton. Acres, 4,748; of which 365 are water. ...


Real property, £7,598. Pop., 974. Houses, 219. The property is divided among three. The manor of Bishops-Teignton belongs to the Comyns family; that of Luton to Lord Clifford.-A mansion and a sanctuary were built in the parish by Bishop Grandison; and remains of the former exist in a barn at Radaway. The living is a vicarage, united till 1866 with Luton channel., in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £215.* Patron, the Rev. W. R. Ogle. The parish church is a neat Gothic edifice of nave, chancel, and aisles, with a tower and spire, erected in 1815; and the church of Luton is a Gothic structure of nave and chancel. A school has an endowed income of £40, and other charities £12.

Bishopsteignton through time

Bishopsteignton is now part of Teignbridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Teignbridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bishopsteignton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bishopsteignton, in Teignbridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4019

Date accessed: 12th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bishopsteignton ".