Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for HANGING-HEATON

HANGING-HEATON, a hamlet and a chapelry in Soothill township, Dewsbury parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The hamlet lies near the Manchester and Leeds railway, 1½ mile N of Dewsbury; and has a post office under Dewsbury. The chapelry was constituted in 1842. Pop. in 1851, 1,893; in 1861, 2, 219. Houses, 453. The pop. consists chiefly of small landowners under the trustees of the Savile estates, and of hand loom woollen manufacturers. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £150.* Patron, the Vicar of Dewsbury. There is a national school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a hamlet and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Dewsbury CP/AP/Tn       Yorkshire AncC
Place: Hanging Heaton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.