Place:


Hanging Heaton  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hanging Heaton like this:

HANGING-HEATON, a hamlet and a chapelry in Soothill township, Dewsbury parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The hamlet lies near the Manchester and Leeds railway, 1½ mile N of Dewsbury; and has a post office under Dewsbury. The chapelry was constituted in 1842. Pop. in 1851, 1,893; in 1861, 2, 219. Houses, 453. The pop. consists chiefly of small landowners under the trustees of the Savile estates, and of hand loom woollen manufacturers. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £150.* Patron, the Vicar of Dewsbury. There is a national school.

Additional information about this locality is available for Dewsbury

Hanging Heaton through time

Hanging Heaton is now part of Kirklees district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kirklees has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hanging Heaton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hanging Heaton, in Kirklees and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25466

Date accessed: 07th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hanging Heaton ".