Place:


Mixbury  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mixbury like this:

MIXBURY, a village and a parish in the district of Brackley and county of Oxford. The village stands near the boundary with Northamptonshire, the river Ouse, and the Banbury and Buckingham railway, 2¾ miles SE of Brackley r. station, and 6 W by S of Buckingham; and has a post office under Brackley. ...


The parish contains also the hamlet of Fulwell and the township of Woolaston. Acres, 2,630. Real property, £2,815. Pop., 381. Houses, 84 ''T he manor belongs to Stanlake Batson, Esq. Traces exist of an old moated house. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £200.* Patron, the Bishop of Oxford. The church is partly Norman; was recently restored, at great cost; consists of nave, N aisle, and chancel, with a tower; and contains monuments of the Bathurst. There are a parochial school, and charities £6.

Mixbury through time

Mixbury is now part of Cherwell district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cherwell has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Mixbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mixbury, in Cherwell and Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9973

Date accessed: 28th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Mixbury ".