Place:


Madresfield  Worcestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Madresfield like this:

MADRESFIELD, a parish, with a village, in Uptonon-Severn district, Worcester; under the Malvern hills, 2 miles NE of Great Malvern r. station, and 6 NW by N of Upton-on-Severn. Post town, Great Malvern. Acres, 1,192. Real property, £2,013. Pop. in 1851,175; in 1861,271. Houses, 52. The property belongs to Earl Beauchamp. ...


Madresfield Court, the Earl's seat, is a moated Tudor mansion, and stands in a well-wooded park. Bricks, tiles, and drain pipes are largely made at Dripsill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester.. Value, £230.* Patron, Earl Beauchamp. The church was rebuilt in 1867, and is in the decorated English style, and has a tower and spire. There are an en dowed school, and charities £8.

Madresfield through time

Madresfield is now part of Malvern Hills district. Click here for graphs and data of how Malvern Hills has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Madresfield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Madresfield, in Malvern Hills and Worcestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9947

Date accessed: 02nd August 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Madresfield ".