Place:


Ashton upon Mersey  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ashton upon Mersey like this:

ASHTON-ON-MERSEY, a township and a parish in Altrincham district, Cheshire. The township-lies on the river Mersey, near the junction with it of the Bridge water canal, 1½ mile NW of Sale r. station, and 5¼ WSW of Manchester; it is not wholly within the parish of Ashton-on-Mersey, but extends into the parish of Bowden; and it has a post office under Manchester. ...


Acres, 1,611. Real property, £9,522. Pop., 1,476. Houses, 298.—The parish includes also the township of Sale. Acres, 3,592. Real property, £28,806. Pop., 4,507. Houses, 895. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £608.* Patron, the Rev.B. Sowerby. The vicarage of Sale is a separate benefice. There are places of worship for Quakers, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists. Charities, £7.

Ashton upon Mersey through time

Ashton upon Mersey is now part of Trafford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Trafford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ashton upon Mersey itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ashton upon Mersey, in Trafford and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/994

Date accessed: 26th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ashton upon Mersey ".