Place:


Elmley Castle  Worcestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Elmley Castle like this:

ELMLEY-CASTLE, a village and a parish in Pershore district, Worcester. The village stands near the boundary with Gloucester, under Bredon hill, 4 miles E of Eckington r. station, and 4½ SW by W of Evesham; has a post office, of the name of Elmley, under Pershore; and was once a market-town. ...


The parish comprises 2, 057 acres. Real property, £2, 922. Pop., 373. Houses, 75. The property is divided among a few. Elmsley Park is the seat of the Davieses. A castle stood within the parish on Bredon hill, and belonged to the D'Abitots, the Beauchamps, the Savages, and others. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £112.* Patron, the Bishop of Worcester. The church contains some old monuments, and is good. Charities, £5.

Elmley Castle through time

Elmley Castle is now part of Wychavon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wychavon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Elmley Castle itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Elmley Castle, in Wychavon and Worcestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9872

Date accessed: 02nd August 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Elmley Castle ".