Place:


Idbury  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Idbury like this:

IDBURY, a parish in Chipping-Norton district, Oxford; adjacent to Gloucestershire, 2½ miles SSW of Chip ping-Norton Junction r. station, and 5½ N by W of Burford. It contains the hamlets of Bowld and Foscott; and its post town is Fifield, under Chipping-Norton. Acres, 1,370. Real property, £2,448. ...


Pop., 233. Houses, 46. The manor belongs to F. F. Turvell, Esq. There are vestiges of a large Roman camp. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; and was annexed in 1865 to Fifield. The church is early English; was recently restored; and has a rich N door and a tower. Charities, £14.

Idbury through time

Idbury is now part of West Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Idbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Idbury in West Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9866

Date accessed: 18th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Idbury ".