Place:


Barton upon Irwell  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Barton upon Irwell like this:

BARTON-UPON-IRWELL, a village, a chapelry, a township, a subdistrict, and a district in Lancashire. The village stands on the river Irwell, adjacent to the Manchester and Liverpool railway, in the vicinity of Patricroft station, 5 miles W of Manchester. It has a post office, of the name of Barton, under Manchester; and it finds employment for many of its inhabitants in a silk-mill and three spinning-mills at Patricroft. ...


An aqueduct here, across the Irwell, with three arches, in the line of the Bridgewater canal, was the earliest structure of its kind in England. The chapelry includes the village, and was constituted in 1843. Pop. in 1851, 3,204. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £150.*-Patrons, the Bishop of Manchester, the Vicar of Eccles, and others. The church is modern. There are a fine Roman Catholic chapel of 1868, two Methodist chapels, and two public schools. The township includes two hamlets, and is in the parish of Eccles. Acres, 10,530. Real property, £47,264. Pop. in 1851, 12,687; in 1861, 14,216. Houses, 2,788. The subdistrict bears the name of Barton; and is conterminate with the township. The district comprehends also the subdistrict of Worsley, containing the townships of Worsley and Clifton in the parish of Eccles; and the subdistrict of Stretford, containing the township of Stretford in the parish of Manchester, and the townships of Flixton and Urmstone in the parish of Flixton. Acres, 23,279. Poor rates in 1866, £11,144. Pop. in 1861, 39,038. Houses, 7,462. Marriages in 1866, 318; births, 1,459,-of which 86 were illegitimate; deaths, 994,-of which 390 were at ages under 5 years, and 14 at ages above 85 years. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60,3,546; births, 11,780; deaths, 7,725. The places of worship in 1851 were 10 of the Church of England, with 6,626 sittings; 5 of Independents, with 1,562 s.; 1 of Unitarians, with 339 s.; 10 of Wesleyan Methodists, with 3,863 sittings; 1 of New Connexion Methodists with 200 s.; 4 of Primitive Methodists, with 476 s.; 5 of the Wesleyan Association, with 1,239 s.; 1 of the New Church, with 212 s.; 1 of Roman Catholics, with 117 s.; and 2 undefined, with 397 s. The schools were 19 public day schools, with 2,960 scholars; 40 private day schools, with 1,396 s.; 43 Sunday schools, with 6,475 s.; and 4 evening schools for adults, with 136 s.

Barton upon Irwell through time

Barton upon Irwell is now part of Salford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Salford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Barton upon Irwell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barton upon Irwell, in Salford and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9861

Date accessed: 18th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Barton upon Irwell ".