Place:


Withnell  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Withnell like this:

WITHNELL, a township and a chapelry in Leyland parish, Lancashire. The township lies 2¾ miles SSW of Pleasington r. station, and 5 SW of Blackburn; includes Brinscall and Abbey-Mill villages, and two hamlets; and has a post-office under Chorley. Acres, 3,557. Real property, £6,819; of which £100 are in quarries. ...


Pop., 2,059. Houses, 365. The manor belongs to J. Park, Esq. Ollerton Hall is the seat of W. P. Park, Esq.; and W. Fold, of T. B. Park, Esq. There are cotton mills, calico-printing-works, bleaching mills, a paper mill, and mineral springs.—The chapelry was constituted in 1842. Pop., 2,160. Houses, 383. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £141.* Patron, the Vicar of Leyland. There are two Wesleyan chapels, two national schools, and charities £5.

Withnell through time

Withnell is now part of Chorley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chorley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Withnell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Withnell, in Chorley and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/986

Date accessed: 25th February 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Withnell ".