Place:


Ainsworth  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ainsworth like this:

AINSWORTH, or Cockey, a chapelry in Middleton parish, Lancashire; at Bradley-Fold r. station, 2½ miles E of Bolton. Post Town, Bolton. Acres, 1,296. Real property, £7,048,-of which £1,652 are in mines. Pop., 1,803. Houses, 346. Cotton manufacture is carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £136. Patron, the Rector of Middleton. The church is good; and there are two dissenting chapels, a national school, and charities £12.

Ainsworth through time

Ainsworth is now part of Bury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ainsworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ainsworth, in Bury and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9818

Date accessed: 05th July 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ainsworth ".