Place:


Stannington  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stannington like this:

STANNINGTON, a parish, with a village, in Castle Ward district, Northumberland; on the river Blyth, 1 mile W of Plessey r. station, and 4½ S by E of Morpeth. It is divided into three quarters, S, NE, and NW; and has a post-office under Cramlington. Acres, 10,093. Real property, £10,038. ...


Pop., 1,008. Houses, 194. The manor belonged to Roger de Merlai; passed to the Greystokes, the Somervilles, and others; and belongs now to the Earl of Carlisle. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £355.* Patron, the Bishop of Chester. The church is old. There are a reformatory school, and a school endowed with £11 per annum for the education of certain poor scholars.

Stannington through time

Stannington is now part of Castle Morpeth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Castle Morpeth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stannington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stannington, in Castle Morpeth and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9684

Date accessed: 21st April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Stannington".