Place:


Areley Kings  Worcestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Areley Kings like this:

ARELEY (King's), a parish in Martley district, Worcester; on the river Severn, ½ a mile SW of Stourport r. station. It contains the hamlet of Dunley; and its post town is Stourport. Acres, 1,449. Real property, £3,659. Pop., 564. Houses, 138. The property is much subdivided. An eminence on which the church is situated commands an extensive prospect. ...


Areley House and Areley Hall are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £346.* Patron, the Rev. H. J. Hastings. The church is early English, with a Norman doorway. A rude sepulchral monument, inscribed with a quaint rhyming distich, said to be to the memory of Sir Henry Coningsby of Herefordshire, is in the churchyard. Layamon, author of an ancient British history, was a native. Charities, £19.

Areley Kings through time

Areley Kings is now part of Malvern Hills district. Click here for graphs and data of how Malvern Hills has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Areley Kings itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Areley Kings, in Malvern Hills and Worcestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9589

Date accessed: 23rd October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Areley Kings ".