Place:


Kyloe  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kyloe like this:

KYLOE, a township and a parish in Berwick district, Northumberland. The township lies near the coast, opposite Holy Island, 2½ miles SW of Beal r. station, and 6 NW by N of Belford. The parish contains also the townships of Buckton, Fenwick, Berrington, and Beal-with-Lowlin; the last of which has a post-office designated Beal, Northumberland. ...


Acres, 8,285; of which 535 are water. Real property, £10,924. Pop., 1,004. Houses, 181. The property is divided among a few. Kyloe House is a chief residence. The surface includes cliffs, hills, and much moor; and the hills are notable for their plants. Coal and limestone abound. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Durham. Value, £138.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church stands on an eminence, with an extensive view; was rebuilt in 1792; and is a plain structure, with an embattled tower.

Kyloe through time

Kyloe is now part of Berwick upon Tweed district. Click here for graphs and data of how Berwick upon Tweed has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kyloe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kyloe, in Berwick upon Tweed and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9422

Date accessed: 27th June 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kyloe ".